I was in need of a quick adventure. My itchy feet has this strong desire to explore a place unknown to others; a place where there is less tourists, and more connection to the nature. Suddenly, I thought of Kalanggaman Island. And oh there’s Biliran province close to it. Thus, I thank God for the beauty of these provinces; a paradise that is beyond stunning.
Leyte, where Kalanggaman Island is located and Biliran provinces are neighboring to each other which is just a bus / van away, making it really possible to visit these two in one trip! Hence, I was inspired to cross out these two provinces in my list and explore their beauty not everyone has discovered yet.
I had no regrets afterwards. Its exquisiteness are unexplainable as every air that I breathe, every scenery that I witness, every person that I meet, every single thing were all worthy to experience. IT WAS DEFINITELY A ONE FOR THE BOOKS TRIP THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET.
Pre Travel Guide
In this trip, we will be crossing out two provinces in your list. Yep, we will be exploring the province of Leyte and Biliran in just 2 days! We will start off with Leyte province where we will be touring around Kalanggaman Island. We will, then, head off to Biliran to explore its majestic falls!
How to get to Leyte & Biliran:
1. Fly to Ormoc or Tacloban
- PS: There are several platforms to score a cheap flight to Ormoc or Tacloban (e.g. Budget Airlines like Cebu Pacific.) Here are some tips:
- Visit their website regularly to see promos and discounts
- Like their Facebook Page to be updated on their ganaps. (You can also use the “See First” thing on their page to get a higher chance of knowing their promos.)
- Option 1: Via Ormoc Airport (Closer to Western Leyte)
- Only Cebu Pacific offers flights to Ormoc City. However, if you’re from Manila you have to fly to Cebu City first as there are no direct flight from Manila to Ormoc.
- Option 2: Via Tacloban Airport
- There is a direct flight from Manila to Tacloban City
2.From Ormoc City/ Tacloban City, you will now proceed to your destinations (Leyte & Biliran)
- See next section of this post
Where to stay?
We spent a night in Kalanggaman Island and another night in Tacloban City.
- 1st night: Camped in Kalanggaman Island, there are tents available for rent in the tourism office (250PHP – 400PHP)
- 2nd night: Fly to Manila
DAY 1: Kalanggaman Island, Leyte
Imagine a paradise blessed with white sand and emerald green waters. An island that is so untouched you couldn’t imagine how surreal it is. Yep, it will totally sweep your feet off the ground in a heartbeat. That’s Kalanggaman Island. This virgin paradise is known for its long white and vivid stretch of sand to both ends of the island. Moreover, the dynamic atmosphere of the island is something to crave for especially when you are in need of a soul search. No wonder this island is one of the best beach Philippines have! It was tranquil at its best.
How to get there?
- From Ormoc Airport, ride a van going to Palompon (1.5Hrs; 110PHP.) Then from Palompon, proceed to the Eco Tourism Office and Hire a boat to Kalanggaman Island (1 Hr; 3000PHP/ 20 PAX)
- From Tacloban Airport, ride a van going to Palompon (3-4 Hrs; 170PH. Then from Palompon, proceed to the Eco Tourism Office and Hire a boat to Kalanggaman Island (1 Hr; 3000PHP/ 20 PAX)
- Transportation Expense: 110 PHP
- Environmental Fee:
- Day Tour: 200 PHP
- Overnight Tour: 300 PHP
- Boat Rental: 3000 PHP /20 = 150 PHP
- Registration Fee: 60PHP
- Tent Rental: 250 PHP/ 2 PAX = 125 PHP
- Food: 400 PHP
- TOTAL POSSIBLE EXPENSE: 1145 PHP
DAY 2: Falls Hopping, Biliran
Not everyone knows Biliran. Its hidden beauty and the adventure it offers are something worthy to discover by everyone. This province boasts numerous majestic and breathtaking waterfalls that are peacefully tucked in the lush forests of Biliran, serenely remaining pure and magnificent. What’s more is that you can explore the whole province by just hiring a habal habal / motorbike! Here, you can be able to discover countless of hidden spots in just a day!
How to get there?
- From Palompon (Kalanggaman Island,) ride a van back to Ormoc (1.5Hrs; 110PHP.) Then from Ormoc, ride another van to Naval (2.5HRS; 130 PHP.)
- From Naval, charter a motorcycle to tour you around Biliran (1000 PHP)
- Alfie Leones: 09261269714
- Jun Murillo: 09396049242
- You can also charter a tricycle for a more convenience (1,500 PHP – 2,000PHP) or a multicab (3,500 PHP – 4,000 PHP)
Places to Visit:
- Recoletos Falls
- Ulan ulan Falls
- Tinago Falls
- Bagongbong Falls
- Casiawan Falls
- Mainit Hot Springs (Sidetrip)
- Sampao Rice Terraces (Sidetrip)
- Transportation Expense: 370 PHP (RT to Ormoc)
- Entrance Fees:
- Tinago Falls: 20 PHP
- Ulan Ulan Falls & Recoletos Falls: 20 PHP (One Entrance Fee only)
- Casiawan Falls: 10 PHP
- Motorbike Rental: 1000 PHP for 2 pax = 500 PHP /Pax
- Food: 300 PHP
- TOTAL POSSIBLE EXPENSE: 920 PHP
- Day 1: 1145 PHP
- Day 2: 920 PHP
- TOTAL: 2065 PHP
Recommended Travel Agency
If you want to maximize your trip by avoiding the difficulty of exploring around the provinces in a DIY way, I highly recommend you to book a trusted travel agency which offers quality service in a reasonable price!
3KRS Travel and Tours
3KRS Travel and Tours is a Leyte based Travel Agency which offers Tour/ Travel Packages around Eastern Visayas and nearby regions. They also provide passport and airline booking services! They were very accommodating and their treatment to their guests is on a personal level where you feel special and pampered by their service.
Recommended Activity: Biliran Tour
- Facebook Page: 3KRS Travel and Tours
- Contact: 09757395799 / 093926243084
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
WeWander Travel and Tours
We Wander Travel and Tours offers Kalanggaman Island tours in the finest way! They were on time and absolutely value their client’s schedule. Meals provided by them were with quality ones and served enthusiastically. They make sure that their client’s needs is always prioritized thus making the Kalanggaman Island experience worthwhile. They also offer Luzon based tours and packages such as Baler, Calaguas, Baguio, etc.
Recommended Activity: Kalanggaman Island Tour
- Facebook Page: We Wander Travel and Tours
- Contact: 09082920558 / 09278828924
- Email: email@example.com
2 days was one heck of a FAST adventure! It was a rush one, but I can say it was all worth it! A super fun one actually! Leyte and Biliran are provinces that has to be explored by everyone; by YOU. Its off the beaten character makes you want to crave for a legit adventure- and you can find that in these provinces!