When we booked our flight to Dubai via Cebu Pacific Air, we know that this will be our very first long-haul flight under their airlines, which made us really excited for this trip! What amazed us beforehand is how the flights were way cheaper than the ones offered by other carriers- which actually costs less than 300 USD! Pretty cheap, considering that we will be flying 4,500 miles away from Manila! Hence, we’re down to our first ever long haul flight!
Despite the thrill and excitement of looking forward to a momentous journey in one fell swoop, passengers like us onboard will still have to face discomfort. This trip is definitely bound to be a sitting marathon for us! With this, here are my top ways to cope before and during a long-haul flight:
About Cebu Pacific:
Cebu Pacific Airlines is the largest and low-cost carrier in our country and the only one that offers direct flights from Manila to Dubai. It’s a non-stop 8-hours and 55-minute flight and will typically cost you at around 6,000 PHP TO 13,000 PHP one way. But if you’re lucky, you can score a ticket for as low as 967PHP!! Moreover, Cebu Pacific Airlines has daily flights to Dubai usually at 4:45PM – 10:40PM.
If you’re still unconvinced on booking your flight via Cebu Pacific Airlines, let me provide you reasons why this airline is the best one for your Dubai trip!
- Ultimate Convenience– direct flights to Dubai doesn’t always happen to most local airlines. But as for Cebu Pacific Airlines, it is definitely possible. Ang hassle ng connecting flights, you know.
- Lowest Year-Round Fare– Cebu Pacific Airlines offers one of the cheapest (or probably the only cheapest one) flights from Manila to Dubai.
To score the cheapest rate, here are some tips:
- Visit their websites regularly to see promos and discounts
- Like their Facebook Page to be updated on their ganaps. (You can also use the “See First” thing on their page to get a higher chance of knowing their promos.)
Web / Mobile Check In
Tired and/or worried about the long counter lines at the airport in order for you to check in? Well, Cebu Pacific is offering web/ mobile check-in service that you can try to avoid these long lines and for you to have a more loosen up process at the airport. You can use your mobile device as early as 7 days before your flight (ending 4 hours before your flight) to check in and get your boarding pass. This service is really fast and seamless and can definitely guarantee you a convenient check-in process.
Another component to consider on booking your long-haul flight is your baggage allowance. Do take note that carry-on luggage have limits when it comes to its size and weight- a maximum weight of 7 kg and dimension of up to 56cm x 36cm x 23cm to be exact. Passengers may also bring a small bag in addition with its hand carry not exceeding 35cm x 20cm x 20cm.
Hence, if you have tons of stuff to bring, you must take into account adding a baggage allowance to your flight. Below are the rates of the baggage allowance (one way) if you’re flying MNL- DXB (or vice versa):
- 20KG: 1800 PHP
- 32KG: 2800 PHP
- 40KG: 3800 PHP
- You can get a free 25KG if you book a baggage allowance FROM Dubai (only.) This is not available on flights FROM Manila to Dubai.
Baggage Reminder: Each piece of checked baggage must not weigh more than 32kg. If checked bag exceeds 32kg, please redistribute the contents to other bags.
Before Your Flight:
Pre-book your seat
One of the most essential component to consider when preparing for a long haul flight is your flight seat. You don’t want to be stuck in a dreaded seat for hours, right? Of course, you have to be in a comfortable place since you’ll be glued to that space for almost 9 long hours. Hence, whether you’re an aisle person or a window person, it’s very important for you to prebook your seats, especially during the time you’re booking your flights as well (since I think cheaper?) Nevertheless, here are some basic rules you can take into account while deciding for your seat:
- If you want easy access, choose an aisle seat. If you want to witness the view outside the plane, or something to lean on while seating, choose a window seat.
- If you want more leg room, seats in the exit rows are perfect for you.
- If you want to avoid crying babies, stay away from the nearest seats in front- since usually these are the seats for people with infants for special provision.
Moreover, here are the details when you select your seats via Cebu Pacific Air (refer to photo below):
- Standard Seat: PHP 500.00
- Premium Seat: PHP 2,500.00 (seats located at exit rows)
- Standard Plus Seat: 1000 PHP (32-inch seat pitch located at the rear section of the aircraft)
Be Food Equipped
9 long hours of flight will definitely starve you. Believe me, feeling hungry in the middle of the journey away from reality (your home) is terrible. To save you from that situation, I highly recommend you to avail on-board meals! Cebu Pacific Air offers meals at a very reasonable price. You can even get up to 50PHP discount if you pre-order them before your flight. Do take note that these meals are HALAL. You can order up to four meals in a long-haul flight.
Below are the usual prices of their meals:
- Sandwich: 180-250PHP
- Pasta: 350PHP
- Rice Meals: 350PHP
- The first service will begin approximately one hour after take-off while the second one will be around two hours before landing.
- Prices of pre-ordered meals may change from time to time. All prices quoted are correct at the time of booking.
- Change in meal selection will be allowed up to 24 hours before flight departure.
Read More: CEB Meals
Cebu Pacific Air also offers Light snacks, cup noodles, chips and drinks during your flight. However, it is also good if you have something extra on hand. That way, if meals / snacks aren’t available yet from the airline and you already feel that hunger, you have something to save you from it! Besides, it can also let you save money! Here are some of my personal suggested snacks:
- Fruits – apples, bananas, oranges
- Nuts – not the salty ones- since it will make you more dehydrated
- Fruit / Nut Bars
Charge your Gadget’s Batteries:
Honestly, a 9-hour flight might get pretty boring. Hence, make sure you charge all your devices so that you have something to spend your time with during the long haul flight. Powerbanks are big help too incase your device ran out of battery during the flight and there is no power outlet inside the plane.
Don’t forget to download movies, music and/or e-books in your gadgets or probably bring a book to give your eyes a break from screen time.
Pack The Essential Accessories
Aside from the snacks I recommended you to bring earlier, here are some suggested things to bring for a more comfortable long-haul flight for you:
- Scarf/ shawl – planes usually get cold during the night, and the airline’s provided blanket might not be enough to save you from freezing.
- Pillow – sleeping with you head lolling all over the place is a struggle. Hence a travel pillow will help you get cozy.
- Comfortable Socks
Wear Comfortable Clothes
Save your fancy clothes and accessories for the holiday, and wear something that’s cozy and will make you happy while sitting on the plane for 9 hours. Plane temperature may get chilly so it’s ideal for you to bring a jacket in case you get cold. Moreover, I also suggest you to wear closed toed shoes rather than flip flops to avoid your feet to swell during high altitudes.
During Your Flight:
Move around the plane
A long 9-hour flight may cause your body feel tired and numb. It may even feel super cramped and achy as you will be staying in the same position for a long period. Hence a gentle exercise at your seat may help reduce that discomfort. You may also get up, walk around the aisle and stretch your joints every once in a while. This is a more conducive way to getting some healthy rest than sleeping at your seat.
Having a long haul flight confined in a reduced oxygen environment with low humidity possible will dehydrate you. In fact in an average 10 hour flight, a person may possible lose just about 1.5 -2 liters of water. That’s why it is very important to keep yourself hydrated and drink plenty of water slowly and regularly.
Enjoy Your Time
What better way to spend a once-in-a-lifetime flight above the world and off to your dream vacation than to seat back and relax? Long haul flights aren’t bad- in fact it can be a blessing in disguise! Grab your book and use your time to catch up away from your busy schedule back in the city. Binge-watch some series and get more excited on your upcoming escapade. Listen to music and savor the moment that you are actually on top of the world and en-route to your big trip! This 9 hour flight is something to apprecicate! Yes?
Make New Friends
Flights are actually perfect opportunities to meet new interesting people! Who knows you might end up with a romantic date, or a new travel buddy for your next adventure if you just say hello! Each person seating in that long haul flight have their own reason why they’re traveling- and that story must be interesting to know about. So why don’t you strike up a conversation and find out their story?