One thing to not miss if you’re in Hong Kong is the happiest place in the city, Ocean Park Hong Kong!! *jumps out of joy* Filled with numerous fun activities and plentiful attractions to try, and a promise of an experience of a lifetime, this place is definitely a dream come true for us theme park lovers / animal lovers/ adventure seekers!
If you’re an adventure soul who loves thrilling rides, or a person who are into discovering and meeting new animals and unique species, Ocean Park Hong Kong is the one for you. Yep, this theme park is without a doubt, one of a kind- as it is both an amusement park and a zoo, featuring a number of thrilling rides, a home to thousands of marine creatures and is known as one of the largest aquariums in the world!
So, are you guys ready for an adventure in this extraordinary wonderland? Yes to adventures!
Pre Travel Guide
Before anything else, I am happily and proudly sharing you a secret / travel hack that we just discovered before going to Hong Kong:
Isn’t this amazing? Who wouldn’t love a DISCOUNT from Klook?! Yeay!! *tears in joy* Here in KLOOK, you can already experience the fun Ocean Park can bring you, and it’s at a cost for less. What’s more is that it doesn’t just offer discounted tickets but also has this advantage from the others wherein you can skip long lines from the entrance- just walk past the long queues for tickets, and you’re good to go! It’s incredible, right?!
Book your tickets here: H E R E.
- Operating Hours:
Monday – Friday: 10am – 7pm ; Saturday, Sunday: 10am – 9pm
- Note: Operating hours may differ during the special holidays, so make sure to check its schedule beforehand.
- Tip: To maximize the theme park’s attractions, be the first ones to enter the park by arriving in the area before 10:00AM.
- How to go to Ocean Park?
When to Visit?
The mild climate of Hong Kong makes Ocean Park perfect to be visited all year-round. However, there are times that this city has tropical cyclones and occasional blustery thunderstorms that may affect the operations of the park. Some of you may also want to avoid jam-packed crowd in order for you to freely explore around. Hence:
- If you’re a weather conscious, here is an overview of Hong Kong’s seasons:
- Spring (March to mid-May): The average temperature is 18 C to 25 C. It is quite warm during the day that may be accompanied by fog and drizzle, and a bit cold during the night.
- Summer (late May to the mid-September): Average temperature is 28 C. It is extremely hot and humid. However, this season is also known as the city’s Discount Season!
- Autumn (late September to the end of November): Weather is not that hot and not that cold. Sunshine and clouds are balanced.
- Winter (December and ends in February, having an average temperature of 17 C): Coldest of all season, but the coolness is still manageable.
- Check Ocean Park‘s weather guide for your reference.
- If you want to avoid large crowds:
- Best time to visit: During Off-pealk seasons or on a weekday (preferably Tuesday – Thursday)
- Avoid Chinese public holidays which includes Chinese New Year (Jan or Feb), Dragon Boat Festival (May) and Mid Autumn Festival (October).
What to bring?
- Personal water bottle: This will keep you hydrated at all times. There are several drinking fountains around the area that you can use to refill your bottle.
- Umbrella: Walking around the park may sometimes be fatiguing especially if you’re under the scorching sun.
- Extra shirts, face towels, shades, sunscreen: The basics especially during the summer season!
- Powerbanks: To avoid your phones being battery-drained.
- Pocket Wi-fi: To keep you connected during your stay in Hong kong!
Plan your Itinerary
Ocean Park is a huge park that a day isn’t enough for you to try everything- no matter how much you want to. There’s so much rides, activities, and sights to try to!! Now, my suggestion is you plan ahead on what rides you will prioritize and strategize your way of maximizing the place. Thus, here’s the map that will surely be a helping guide for your planning.
*click photo for a detailed view*
For more info: Visit The Ocean Park Official Website
Tips / Travel Hack
How to save money?
- Buy your tickets beforehand with KLOOK!
- Saves time from lining up since you have a privilege to Skip the queue with your purchased mobile voucher.
- Save up to 30% off (around 1200PHP) the standard admission ticket!
- You can even get additional free KLOOK credits from purchasing this.(10 credits = 1 Hong Kong Dollar)
- EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT: When you purchase an admission ticket today until December 31, 2018, you can get a free Free Popcorn/French Fries/Onion Rings + Free Soft Drink!
- Book your tickets here: H E R E.
- You can also purchase package deals like:
- Admission + Kiosk Set Meal: 3082PHP
- Admission + Meal (Restaurant): 3500PHP
- Admission + Ocean Fastrack: 4700PHP
- And many more! Check:
- Book your tickets here: H E R E.
- Purchase a Hong Kong and Macau Attraction Pass: iVenture Card
- If you’re planning to explore other attractions of Hong Kong and Macau, iVenture is definitely a money-saver!
- Save up to 15,000PHP upon visiting more than 14 attractions.
- More info: Visit 14 Attractions in Hong Kong & Macau for only 5200 PHP: iVenture Card
- Book your tickets here: H E R E.
How to maximize your stay?
- Visit the park on off-peak seasons a.k.a non-holidays and weekdays
- Be one of the earliest to arrive. Be at the gate before the park opens.
- Once you enter the park, head straight to the cable car or express train to transfer you to The Summit, which is the other side of Ocean Park (you will get a fuller explanation of this side of the park on the latter part of this blog.)
- Overview of the park: Ocean Park has two main areas: The Waterfront and The Summit– which are separated by a body of water. And in order for you to reach one side from the other side, you have to ride the cable car or express train.
- The Waterfront is the area where the main gate is- which means it is the area where most of the tourists go once the park opens. Hence, don’t follow the crowd for you to maximize your time. Once you’re done with the activities in The Summit, head back to The Waterfront to continue your Ocean Park adventure!
- Another suggestion is for you to take the express train rather than the cable car to get you to The Summit in a faster way. You can take the cable car on your way back instead.
ALERT!!! FREE ENTRANCE!
Starting September 9 up until November 3, Ocean Park Hong Kong is providing free entrance to everyone! To those who wants to just chill and enjoy the weekend night in Hong Kong, you might want to consider visiting the park as it magically transforms itself from a fun theme park into a quixotic place with great food, soothing music and an astounding fire and water show!
- Free admission after 6:30pm on every Friday and Saturday
- Only Lakeside Chill, Neptune’s Restaurant and Waterfront Gifts will be opened. Other animal exhibits, thrill rides and attractions will not be included.
- Valid only from 7 September to 3 November.
- More info: Chill Out
Halloween Fest 2018
Now that Halloween is approaching, Ocean Park Hong Kong prepared itself for their ultimate Halloween Fest celebration! With their first-ever Sanrio-themed Halloween party, you can get to interact and greet Hello-ween with the cutest Sanrio characters in exclusive Halloween costumes, and get to enjoy their exclusive 13 new spooky attractions. This biggest Halloween celebration in Asia is something you should not really miss.
Ocean Park Tour
Alright, I’m so excited to share this part to the world. Basically, our experience in the Ocean Park is unexplainably incredible!!!! IT WAS FREAKING + RIDICULOUSLY FUN! Even this article can’t put into words how happy I am from this. Well, to somewhat elucidate our experience, let me tour your around the places we visited/ tried.
PS: We weren’t able to try everything *sad* but I can still say that every thing we tried was all worth it that makes our trip to the Ocean Park an EPIC ADVENTURE. So yep, below are just the ones we tried:
If you want proof on how fun and thrilling Ocean Park is, here’s an old video I made a year ago! I’m uploading a new one within the week! WAHHH!
Overview of Ocean Park
Basically, Ocean Park Hong Kong is separated into 2 main areas: The Waterfront and The Summit. Between these two main areas are 8 different themed zones with different themes (Aqua City, Amazing Asian Animals, Whiskers Harbour, Thrill Mountain, Polar Adventure, Rainforest, Adventure Land, and Marine World.)
Transportation System inside the Park
The 2 main areas in the park are actually separated by a body of water which requires you to take the in-park train or the cable car (both of them are free!)
- Cable Car: An 8 minute, 1.5km ride from one main area to the next which offers you a 360 degrees breathtaking view of Ocean Park together with its surrounding sea and picturesque landscape.
- Ocean Express: The park’s own train system. It is as if you will be riding a submarine since it does really look like a submarine and it stimulates you on a underwater journey during the 4 minute ride.
The Waterfront, which is the nearest to the main entrance of the park is known for its kid-friendly attractions. This is home to thousands of sea creatures, that is found in the Grand Aquarium, and also the area where the Symbio, the world’s first 360° water screen show, is held. Moreover, this is the place where you can get to witness the most adorable giant pandas, Le Le and Ying Ying!
Aqua City: The nearest from the entrance is the Aqua City. You can instantly spot the The Giant Aquarium where tons of different kind of fishes and sea creatures can be discovered, as well as the Aqua City Lagoon where the dancing fountain is located. One of the In-Park’s Transportation, The Ocean Express, is also located in this area.
Amazing Asian Animals: Known as the world’s first and only integrated indoor and outdoor multi-Asian-species exhibit, providing the guests an educational and fun experience together with its kept and cared rare Asian animals.
Whiskers Harbour: The most kid-friendly area of the park! This is where the cutest rides are found!
The other side of Ocean Park, where The Summit is found, is where most of the thrilling rides and the marine park are located. This area is also the most colorful zone on the entire park! Truly, the adventure starts in The Summit!
Thrill Mountain: Here you can experience those rides that will (almost) literally pull your heart off ’cause their thrilling as f. (Must Try: Hair Raiser!!)
Polar Adventure: Get yourself cooled down and at the same time be amused by paying a visit in this area as you can find penguins, seals, walruses and other sea creatures native to the North and South Pole!
Rain Forest: Here you can experience as if you are literally in the Rainforest. We explored their Expedition Trail where we saw unique rainforest creatures and really felt the forest vibe inside. You can also experience the rapids in rivers in this man-made river, The Rapids. Though, ready yourselves cause there is a really huge possibility that you can get wet! FUN RIGHT?!
Marine World: Get up close with the one of the smartest animals in the world, the dolphins in Marine World. This is also the part where the Ocean Theatre is found, where presentations are offered to guests that educate them to protect our oceans and marine animals.
Adventure Land: This area is actually the smallest of all, but it has my most favorite ride, The Mine Train. It is the one of the park’s latest upgrade with its first-ever Virtual Reality (VR) roller coaster in Hong Kong. Indeed, this ride is not your ordinary-roller coaster!
Meet The Dolphin Experience
One of the best experience I had during my adventure in Ocean Park, Hong Kong is when I met the cutest creature in the sea, the dolphins! Ever since I was a kid, I was already dreaming of encountering the dolphins, and finally my dream came true! Aside from seeing the dolphins in actual and watching them perform, I also had the chance to get closer to them and interact with them. Through Ocean Park‘s special admission ticket, I was able to touch and feed them, learned the hand signals that I used to interact with them, and of course, was educated about this diverse group of aquatic mammals and efforts to protect and preserve the species. It was indeed a one-for-the-books experience!
You can get discounted tickets here: Meet The Dolphins- Ocean Park
Who wouldn’t love Ocean Park, right?! Thanking God for letting us experience the fun this park can bring us! Also, to KLOOK for making it more possible for us to visit this place because of their cheaper tickets! So what are you guys waiting for?
Book your tickets now!!!