If there is one spot in Hong Kong that will never fail to bring out the child in you, that is no other than Disneyland. It is the most accessible Disneyland for Filipinos and it is definitely the most visited destination in Hong Kong!
As you step foot on Hong Kong Disneyland, you enter a magical kingdom where fairy-tale dreams come true. You get to explore 7 lands filled with Disney magic and happiness! The park consists of Main Street, U.S.A., Fantasyland, Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Point, and Toy Story Land. Without a doubt, it is the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH. It is always so much fun and the experience brings us back our childhood bliss.
Where to purchase tickets:
Avail affordable Disneyland tours and tickets from Klook:
- Why you should purchase beforehand:
- To avoid long queue lines
- To save on time, therefore, you can explore more attractions
- To save money by availing discounted prices!
Best time to visit:
- Try to avoid scheduling your visit on weekends and holidays as Disneyland gets too crowded during these times.
- Research ahead of time and consider the weather in Hong Kong, so you can prepare the right type of clothes to wear. During summer, it can get too hot and it is highly recommended that you bring water containers with you to avoid dehydration, most especially if you are traveling with children.
- You can also see the Disneyland calendar which is accessible on their website so you can have an idea when are the off-peak days, as well as the blackout dates when huge crowds are expected to be in the theme park.
- To maximize your visit, you can schedule your trip to the DIsneyland when there are events taking place. Always check the calendar for fun and unique festivities!
- The best time to visit is in October, November, or December. October is still hot and humid with an average high of 28°C (82°F), while in November and December the average high is 24°C ( 75.4°F) and 20°C (68.4°F). During these months, the Halloween and Christmas events and parades take place in Disneyland.
- An alternative time to visit in April and May, with an average high of 25°C (77°F) and 28°C (82°F). The weather is comfortable at this time.
How to get there?
You can take the metro from the airport to Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. It’s quite easy and it requires only two transfers. Travel time takes just over an hour and costs about HK$85.50 (US$11.00). Here’s how:
- By MTR: Ride MTR to Disneyland Resort Station on the Disneyland Resort line
- By bus: See route information at the official website
- By car or coach: Parking facilities available
- By private van transfer: Book a convenient private transfer via Klook
Disneyland Hong Kong Opening Hours:
The opening hours for Hong Kong Disneyland can vary almost on a daily basis. During regular season, the earliest opening time is 10AM and the latest closing time is 9PM. The opening hours during Christmas Time are in a similar range while in January, the park closes a little earlier (sometimes closing as early as 7:30PM). Main Street USA opens about 30 minutes before the rest of the park opens.
Make sure to check the Hong Kong Disneyland park calendar for the date/s you are planning to visit the park so you can get an idea about the accurate schedule and the timetable of events and parades.
MAKE USE OF FAST PASS!!
Hong Kong Disneyland’s FASTPASS lets you skip the main queue for popular attractions and it’s completely free! Shorten your wait time with a FASTPASS. Get your pass in advance for selected attractions and return within specific time frames. Valid only on the day of issue. If you see a long line at an attraction and prefer to come back at a designated time with a shorter line, you can! Get a FASTPASS ticket—at no extra charge.
- In order to make the most out of your day, be there as early as possible. I advise that you show up 30 minutes before the theme park opens.
- Make sure to estimate travel time from your hotel to Disneyland, so you can set your alarm on time, and have enough time to prepare.
How FASTPASS works:
- See if there is a FASTPASS distribution sign near the entrance of the attraction you want to ride. You can also check the Guide Map. (FASTPASS attractions include Hyperspace Mountain & The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh)
- Look at the return time displayed on the sign.
- If the return time works for you, scan your valid park admission ticket at the FASTPASS machine.
- The machine will generate a FASTPASS ticket printed with your return time.
- Return to the FASTPASS return entrance at your return time, show your FASTPASS ticket to the Cast Member at the attraction and enjoy a minimal wait in line.
Average Expenses Inside The Park:
The prices of Disneyland park tickets and items are not usually published, so it makes it hard to budget what you’ll spend in the park. But here is a summary of the average prices of certain items. Just keep in mind that prices do change and vary so you can only refer to this as a rough guide.
- Snack: HK$36 (US$4.70)
- Drink: HK$30 (US$4.00)
- Quick Service Meal: HK$99 (US$12.75)
- Table Service Meal: HK$160 (US$20)
- Mickey Waffle: HK$50 (US$6.45)
- Plush Keychain: HK$138 (US$18.00)
- Pins: HK$65 (US$8.50)
- Plastic Shopping Bag: HK$0.50 (US$0.06)
> Money / Credit Card:
All major credit cards are accepted throughout the park and hotels. You get to choose either in Hong Kong Dollars or the currency of your credit card. Depending on the exchange rate, it’s almost always better to choose to pay in HKD. Also take note of the international transaction fees associated with your credit card since they vary depending on the bank regulations.
Money Saving Tips:
The best way to to save is to bring a reusable water bottle. Water fountains are scattered around the park and it is safe for drinking. This way, you won’t have to spend on water contained in single use bottles.
Another way to save money on food is the 2-in-1 meal voucher from Klook for HK$88 (US$12), which includes:
- One meal combo (select restaurants, see below)
- Ice cream or popcorn from a food cart
- HK$5 off a bottled beverage from a food cart
The meal voucher is valid at River View Cafe, Royal Banquet Hall, Explorer’s Club Restaurant, Comet Cafe, Clopin’s Festival of Foods, Tahitian Terrace, and Starliner Diner.
To give you an overview of how much you can save, an average meal at a quick service restaurant is about HK$99 (US$13) and goes up to HK$159 (US$20). You also get an ice cream treat or popcorn.
Getting around the park:
Hong Kong Disneyland consists of seven themed lands: Main Street USA, Adventureland, Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Point, Toy Story Land, Fantasy Land and Tomorrow Land.
> Hong Kong Disneyland Map
Check out this Hong Kong Disneyland map for a handy and interactive guide around the park. I love how it has filters that can help you find the exact location or information that you need. You can also have an overview of the activities at Disneyland during your visit. Lastly, you may narrow down the map to the attractions that capture your interest.
Once you enter the park, you can also get a physical map that you can use for navigating around. If you prefer a digital map, you can always use the one in the Hong Kong Disneyland mobile up.
> Recommended route:
- Iron Man Experience
- Hyperspace Mountain (FASTPASS available)
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (FASTPASS available)
- Mickey and the Wondrous Book
- “it’s a small world”
- RC Racer
- Toy Soldier Parachute Drop
- Mystic Manor
- Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars
- Festival of the Lion King
- Jungle River Cruise
- Hong Kong Disneyland Railroad
- Disney Paint The Night Parade
Spending Christmas in Disneyland
If you want to spend the holidays in Disneyland like I did, here is an overview of the events and show that you should not miss:
- Flights of Fantasy Parade
The parade consists of grand floats featuring magical moments and Disney characters, accompanied by acrobats and aerialists. Mickey Mouse and his pals are also there to dance with the crowd.
- Location: Main Street USA
- Time: 4:00 PM
- Christmastime Ball with Mickey and Friends
Your favorite Disney characters dressed in their finest holiday outfits, together for one heartwarming gathering. The show will end with a magical and delightful snowfall.
- Location: Main Street USA
- Time: 12:45PM | 2:30PM | 5:15PM
- A Holiday Wish Come True Tree Lighting Ceremony
The street will be transformed into an enchanting scene straight out of a storybook as a delightful show unfold. The Tree Lighting Ceremony will be joined by a quartet of live singers, glowing lanterns, and a magical snowfall.
- Location: Main Street USA
- Time: 6:45 PM
- Disney Paint The Night Parade
Mickey Mouse lights up the night with a procession of Disney characters and a pageant of magical visions. Prepare to be in awe with a spectacular parade of lights and sounds!
- Location: Fantasyland
- Time: 8:00PM
- Festival of The Lion King
Sing along to the songs of Lion King and relive the action and heartfelt scenes of our most loved childhood movie. The main highlights of the performance are the aerial dancers, the fire dancers, as well as the magical special effects that will surely make your jaw drop in amazement!
- Location: Adventureland
- Time: 12:00PM. 2:00PM, 4:30PM, 6:00PM
I have been to Hong Kong Disneyland a couple of times now and after each visit, I am reminded how it is to rekindle the childlike spirit in me. And it’s definitely not too late for you to do so. It’s true that it is always fun to explore and tour around city attractions, but allotting an entire day just to roam around a magical land is sometimes just what we need to reconnect with ourselves. It is a great reminder that as adults, we can still get excited over the little things, laugh over the most simple jokes, and appreciate even the most subtle gestures of kindness—just as how we used to as children.